Albany’s Fire Station 11 was 66 years old, and didn’t meet current building code, ADA accessibility requirements, or energy code, and lacked the space and flow to meet operational needs. Extensive water infiltration problems and the threat of building collapse during a major earthquake meant something needed to be done to the headquarter station.
Mackenzie led a needs assessment process to investigate issues associated with the aging facility and define possible solutions. Through this process we determined, with the City of Albany, that a new station was the most economical path forward. A successful bond campaign, and funding from several additional sources, including urban renewal grants, allowed the City to complete the project.
The resulting facility provides a new home to Albany firefighters, with eight drive-through apparatus bays, living quarters, and fire department administration. The station features a large community room for meetings and training, and serves a dual function as an emergency operations center.
Sustainable elements include a photovoltaic solar array, strategic natural daylighting, and an on-site storm water retention system. Lumber reclaimed from a prior structure on the site is used throughout the station, including in a large dining room table crafted by Northwest furniture makers.
The new building takes every opportunity to respect and honor the department’s history. The department’s original bronze bell, dating from 1877, stands by the main entrance. A 1927 American LaFrance fire truck, which served Albany for much of the last century, is on display, while the original pole was preserved and still in use.